The United States Department of Homeland Security requires visa applicants to pay an administrative fee of $200 to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). This fee must be paid prior to applying for the visa. If you do not pay this fee prior to applying for the visa, you will not be issued a visa for admission to the United States.
The SEVIS fee must be paid at least three business days prior to applying for your visa. The fee can be paid by mail or online and be accompanied by a Form I-901. Completing the form online will help ensure that you provide all the information in the correct format and speed processing.
To Pay Online
- Complete the online Form I-901.
- Complete the form online and supply the required credit card information. Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your I-20.
- Print a copy of the online receipt.
- Be sure to make copies of your receipt, and keep it with your other important immigration documents.
To Pay By Mail
- Download Form I-901.
- Print legibly.
- Make sure your last name and date of birth is entered exactly as it appears on your 1-20.
- The fee amount is correct.
- The address is where you want your receipt sent, and if you have chosen expedited delivery, it is a street address and not a post office box.
Paying by Check or Money Order
- Payment must be by international money order or a foreign draft drawn on a financial institution in the United States and payable in United States dollars
- Supply your name and SEVIS ID number on the check or money order
- Make the check/money order payable to I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee
- If you are using a coupon printed from the Internet, find the control number on top of the coupon and note it on your check or money order
- Attach your check or money order to your coupon or paper Form I-901
As an F-1 student, you will become part of SEVIS upon entry into the United States. SEVIS is a national tracking/monitoring system that will allow the United States government to monitor and track various events during your program of study. Hocking College will be required to provide the following information through SEVIS:
- Your Name, Date and Place of birth
- Country of Citizenship
- Local Address
- Status (enrolled, not enrolled)
- Date of commencement of studies
- Degree program and field of study
- Practical training termination date and reason
- Documents related to your admission
You will learn more about SEVIS at orientation upon arrival at Hocking College. However, before you enter the United States, you need to understand that once you have arrived, you must be committed to following all the rules related to your status. Any violations of status will be reported to U.S. government. Students who do what is required of their status will not be greatly affected by SEVIS.