• The best way is to talk to your student. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of educational records. Academic information cannot be shared with others - including parents - unless the student gives written permission. This includes grades, schedules, classes, attendance, college services, and financial information.

  • Hocking College has many resources and services to help students succeed. Become familiar with our resources and encourage students to reach out for help.

  • Remind students to take the same precautions for safety on campus as in the community. The Campus Safety and Police Department is staffed by full time, commissioned police officers available every day, 24-hours-a-day. Students with concerns about safety should contact the campus police or file their concern with the Vice president of Student and Academic Affairs/Provost. If a health or safety emergency occurs, call Campus Safety at 740.753.6598 or dial 911.

  • Any student can file a concern or complaint about all matters related to being a student at Hocking College by accessing the complaint form available at the Office of the Vice President of Student and Academic Affairs/Provost.

  • In an emergency, Campus Safety is first responder and will ensure the student is evaluated and taken for treatment at a nearby hospital if necessary. In an emergency dial 740.753.6598 or 911.

  • Arrange a system with your student in advance so that you can make contact on campus. No information about your student's schedule or whereabouts can be given to you because of privacy laws (FERPA). In case of a true emergency, the student can be found in class if attending and asked to contact you.

  • College health insurance is not available through Hocking College.

  • Hocking College provides many forms of financial aid - grants, loans, scholarships, work-study jobs and payment plans. You can help your student manage college costs by helping to set up a budget for the year. Discourage students from applying for multiple credit cards and set spending limits if they do have a credit card to avoid acquiring large amounts of debt. Students failing to make academic progress may lose financial aid eligibility! Encourage your student to finish what they start.

  • Need-based financial assistance is determined on an annual basis. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed every year. Tax returns and other requested documentation must be submitted directly to the Financial Aid Office.

  • The College Bookstore is located on campus and stocks textbooks for all courses, as well as other books, school supplies, and Hocking College clothing and memorabilia.

  • The Counseling Center provides licensed counselors who are sensitive to the many issues affecting college students. Counselors work by appointment. There is no charge for these services.

  • The Cashier's Office can assist with these matters.

  • All first year students enroll in a HC Cornerstone class designed to help students be successful. Advisors are also assigned once the student submits a schedule of classes. Students are encouraged to initiate other contacts with their advisors. Advisors post their office hours and are quite accessible for making special appointments. Students also have the option of choosing/changing their faculty advisor from within the department of their declared major. In addition, each Academic Department has a Student Affairs Coordinator (SAC) to work with students and help with academic and other concerns.

  • The partnership between Hocking College, you and your student is critical in the area of alcohol use. While the College can focus on decision-making and healthy choices, the students' personal values are still the basis for any decision-making. It is important that you have ongoing discussions with your student regarding issues about alcohol use. Be clear what you expect of your student regarding issues like attending classes, drinking and driving, financial responsibility, choices involving drinking, study time versus social time and staying in touch.

    The first few months of college are very liberating for a new student, but also a risky time when your support is really necessary. If we work together, we can empower our students to make healthy and informed decisions. Please contact the Director of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Judicial Affairs at 740.753.6072 if you have further questions.

  • Hocking College adheres to all state and federal laws regarding alcohol and drug use. As a college community, we seek to promote responsible decision-making and take an educational approach to substance use/abuse issues. We offer awareness, prevention, and education programs, as well as a state approved Diversion program giving students an alternative and a second chance if having violated the law. Students who seriously or repeatedly violate the College's policies and Student Code of Conduct on alcohol and drugs will be subject to disciplinary action. Alcohol use is a challenging issue throughout our society, but as a college, we are committed to working with our students and their families to prevent tragedy and future problem behaviors.

  • The Campus Safety office publishes an annual report on all crimes reported to their office. Any incident occurring on campus that violates state or federal law is reported by Campus Safety. Visit our Campus Safety area to view our Annual Security and Fire report.

Print Directions
Turn By Turn:
Reset Close