Tue, Oct 1st, 2013
October is Ohio Archaeology Month at the Athens Historical Society and Museum. The month includes a weekly lecture series from 5 - 6 p.m. each Wednesday, featuring some Hocking College archaeology faculty members.
Lecture topics include:
- Oct. 2: The Archaeology of Mining in Southeastern Ohio by Dawn Walter Gagliano of Hocking College’s Archaeology Department
- Oct. 9: How the Hopewell Built Their World by Paul Patton, anthropology professor at Ohio University
- Oct. 16: Possible Astronomical Alignments of Ohio’s Earthworks by Tom O’Grady, astronomical assistant at Ohio University
- Oct. 23: Salt, Southeast Ohio’s First Industry and the Rise of a Historic Cultural Tradition by Annette Ericksen of Hocking College’s Archaeology Department
- Oct. 30: Hopewell Settlement Patterns Around Circleville, Ohio by Jerral Anderson of the Blennerhassett Museum of Regional History in Parkersburg, W.Va.